Reasons to Support the Aftermath Foundation
Back to Report
The Aftermath: Surviving Psychopathy Foundation is one of the only organizations in the world that is dedicated to increasing our understanding of the impact of people with psychopathic traits on others and to trying to reduce this impact. In contrast to some websites, we focus on what is really known about psychopathy, and we take seriously the need to avoid hype and unfounded statements. We are not just saying that there is a problem. We are doing something about it.
We believe that the nature of traumatic relationships with psychopathic individuals is not widely understood. However, there is information about psychopathy that has been learned and that can be helpful to people in traumatic relationships as well as people who are trying to recover from such relationships. We make that information available on our website.
- We present summaries of important research in terms that people without professional training can understand.
- We present additional resources contributed by psychopathy researchers who work with us.
Moreover, we believe that many mental health and forensic professionals do not understand psychopathy well.
- We present workshops to professionals to help them cope more effectively with psychopathic individuals they may encounter in psychotherapy settings, in courtrooms, in churches and synagogues, and in the workplace.
- We get requests for help from people who are seeking knowledgeable professionals, and we try to match people with therapists who have experience in assessing psychopathy and in working with victims and survivors.
Because the impact of people with psychopathic traits on their friends and families is not well understood, there is also an urgent need for more research addressing what makes these relationships so devastating, as well as for understanding the factors that help people to recover from abusive relationships.
- We have funded some of this important research and are continuing to inform researchers about the need for more research in this area.
In almost all cases, social and organizational policies are not designed to deal with people who do not play by the rules, and it will take time to change policies to help people defend themselves more effectively when they are targeted by those with psychopathic traits.
Although we are doing what we can, we know we need to do more. This is a big job, and we are a small organization!
If you understand the impact of psychopathy, or if you are in a position to help, we encourage you to help us accomplish our goals.
• Make a donation to the Foundation.
• Become a member.
• Become a volunteer.
• Renew your membership.
• Join eScrip so that a small portion of your regular shopping can benefit us.
• Consider buying one of the books in our bookstore. We receive a small contribution from books purchased on Amazon through our bookstore.
• If your workplace has an employee charitable giving program, please consider whether you can add the Aftermath Foundation as one of the charities for which employee donations are matched by the company.
• Tell others about psychopathy…… Spread the word…… Help us to make a difference!